Thursday, August 31, 2006

Download the Classics for Free


When I heard that Google was offering free, downloadable versions of public domain books, first I thought, "Wow!" Then, I thought, "Who wants to curl up with a laptop, let alone a desktop?" Even if you were to print out the entire book, you're probably $75 in the hole because you need to purchase a pack of printer cartridges from Costco. I imagine some kid living in the projects trying to download 2 MB of Dante's Inferno -- his 486 PC still chugging away after 2 hours. Wishful and naive thinking, I know. Still, the idea that some of the classics are sort of free is pretty darn cool. Can it be that a business would use its technological prowess to provide good for all of humanity, while making money at the same time? I worry about the day when Google monopolizes all data, great and trivial...

1 Comments:

At 9/01/2006 3:15 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Ah, but what if you were having an argument with someone over whether Hamlet said, "To be or not to be" or whether he said, "To not be or be"? You could search the online text quickly and resolve the issue. Any information easily accessible is a good thing. Bravo Google!

Now if you'll excuse me I have to get back to my tea cup and Chaucer.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home